The assessment, alteration and repair of existing structures present a different set of challenges than the design of new construction. Existing conditions cannot be specified, but instead must be evaluated and used as-is, strengthened or replaced. In addition, existing structures constrain the means and methods of investigation and construction. As a result, these projects are subject to greater uncertainty than new construction projects and require experience with historical construction methods and materials, consideration of constructibility and proactive risk management from project planning through completion.
Richard J. Driscoll, Consulting Engineer (RJDCE) helps clients assess existing structures and manage the risk associated with alterations and repair. RJDCE’s services applicable to existing structures include:
- Analysis of existing structures for changes in loading conditions, including construction loads.
- Building damage or distress investigations.
- Design of repairs, strengthening, stabilization and remedial measures.
- Design of structural alterations.
- Design of temporary shoring and bracing for stabilization and construction
- Impact assessment for structures adjacent to construction.
- Foundation analysis and design for additions.
- Pre-construction condition surveys.
- Structural condition assessment.